Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th! I declare my independence from these last 20 pounds

When Evie was 2 or 3 months old and I was all recovered from my crazy post-delivery complications (that's a loooong story for another post) I decided I was ready to get serious about exercise and I ordered a few Jillian Michaels DVDS- 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones.  I liked the idea of a 20 minute workout that could help me lost 20 lbs in 30 days.  when I did the Shred the first time, I was perturbed to hear her say that the workout was designed to get rid of those LAST twenty pounds.  At the time, being within twenty pounds of my ultimate weight goal seemed unfathomable; a total pipe dream. 

But now I'M THERE!!  I'M THERE!!

I didn't stick with the Shred- I did it a few times, but then I moved on to walking with my jogging stroller and attempting the family room at the gym.  For the last few weeks, although my weight has continued to trend (very slowly, it feels like) downward, I really haven't been exercising at all.  And I need to change that- because even though I am at my lowest weight since high school, I'm still lumpy and flabby in more places than I'd like to admit.  And I know that it's more than likely that even if I were to get to a scary skinny weight, I'd still have those lumps and bumps and it would just look SUPER CREEPY- if I don't lose the weight the right way, with cardio and toning.

Today, I am going to commit to a 60-day Shred of my own- cause while it would be cool to get all the weight off in a month, I don't think that's a realistic or healthy goal for me.  But I'd like to be at my goal weight by Evelyn's first birthday, which is September 1st.  My husband will be getting home from his deployment around the same time, probably later that week- and it would be nice to surprise him with a super skinny me! 

Eek- it's scary to be putting this out in a public forum- because then if I don't meet my goal, I have to own up to my failure publicly.  But that's the reasoning behind doing something like this- it keeps you accountable.  Next time the half gallon of ice cream is calling my name at the grocery store (or from my freezer, if I gave in to temptation at the grocery store) I will need to remind myself that I've made a public declaration of my intent to lose 20 pounds by the beginning of September.  Hopefully, that will be enough of a deterrent to keep me on track.

And as a further motivator, I am going to post my weight and post my progress. AAAH!!  Even though I am no longer ashamed of my weight, as a woman it goes against my evolutionary instincts to put that number out in the open, other than at my weight watchers meetings or on a weight loss forum.  But here goes, here are my vitals:

When I got pregnant, I weighed 180 lbs.
The day I had my daughter, I was 216 lbs.
Today I weighed in at 137.4 lbs.
My goal weight is 116 lbs (ok, so I have a little more than 20 to lose- yesterday was a bit of a cheat day!)

116 is one pound under a BMI of 20 for my height (5 ft 4 in) and I don't feel the need to stay at that weight indefinitely, but I would like to get there just so I can say that I lost 100 pounds!

And one last thing- I don't want my 'final weigh in' day to be September 1st, although that's my goal.  That day is my daughter's birthday, and celebrating the first year of her life, and the best year so far of mine, should be the only thing on my mind that day.  So for that reason (and the extra time doesn't hurt either) I will schedule my final weigh in two months from today- September 4th.  Game on!

Happy Fourth of July everyone, and hope it's a fun and safe day for all!  We are missing my husband today but I'm grateful to be married to a guy who is fighting to preserve the freedom that we all celebrate today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment